Monday, July 14, 2014

Why not just open the can?

Dear Two-Legged One,

I thought your book was finished. You know, the one that features an amazing cat who uses her wisdom and prowess to rescue two humans and catch several mice.

Why can't I sit on these pages?

What are copy edits? Those marks look as insignificant as small insects. Why are you bothering to study them? I know you have better things to do.

Isn't it time for my dinner? For goodness sake, just open the can!

Sincerely,
Blackberry



Dear Blackberry,

You raise an interesting question. Why did the copy editor spend so much time putting commas  in the right places? Why am I making sure the copy editor understood what I intended to write so that the commas will be in the right places? Why not--as you say--just open the can?

Because it's good to pursue excellence. Books can be published without correct grammar or graceful language. Neither has much to do with plot or character. But all too often we choose what is cheap or easy. In a culture of short cuts, any well crafted thing should be treasured.

You are a cat. You leave no part of yourself un-groomed. So it is with prose. If hair is out of place, it will distract.

I'm grateful to the copy editor who worked so hard on this book. I applaud anyone who pursues excellence in anything.

Sincerely, 
Jane

PS --- You had your dinner. Now it's time for a nap.





No comments:

Post a Comment